Confessions of a Designer: Emily A. Clark

Emily has brought her business and her blog so far. I can't wait to see where she goes! She is so talented and each of her interiors are clean, crisp and so so beautiful. I love her style and she continues to amaze me with each new project. 

Here are her confessions of a designer. 

The ideal client, to me, is one who is open to trying new ideas that may even be a little out of their initial comfort zone.  It doesn't really have anything to do with budget.  They trust me to see the vision for the overall space, even when they can't.  And, most of all, we have good, open communication with each other.   

To a certain extent, I think it's important that the client's and designer's personalities mesh.  I think it's a good idea to have an initial phone call just to make sure you "click" and are both on the same page.  It's great that a lot of designers now have blogs.  Not only is it a good way to see their work, but it gives potential clients a chance to learn more about them (personally and professionally), what they like, their design preferences, etc.  


Interior by Emily A. Clark


I think a lot of people are intimidated by the thought of working with a designer because they feel they won't have any control over what happens, that their ideas won't be heard, and that they'll be way over their budget.  As with any profession, there are always those "horror stories" of jobs gone bad, but I think it's feasible for anyone to work with a designer, as long as they find a good fit.



Interior by Emily A. Clark

Communication!  That goes for both sides.  The client needs to be really open about their likes/dislikes, budget restraints, and expectations.  On the same note, it's really important that the designer be up front about their services, pricing and any limitations for the project.


Interior Board by Emily A. Clark
 I think it's all in the details.  When someone comes to me for help through my online design services, I try to give them a complete plan so that they know exactly where each pillow and accessory should be placed.  Once you develop a plan for an online client, they're really on their own when it comes to pulling it altogether and shopping.  That's why it's so important to be specific so that it's feasible for them to do the work themselves.


Famous designer: Candice Olsen
"Real-life" designer: Sherry Hart of Design Indulgence (Not to say that she's not famous, of course, but I’m thinking I would have a shot at affording her over Candice!)


Thanks Emily! Make sure you check out her blog

No comments:

Post a Comment